Friday, December 2, 2011

The Industrial Piercing

I have a piercing called Industrial.
Don't know what it is? No worries! I'll be posting pictures!
I get a lot of questions about it, which doesn't bother me because I've asked so many questions about it. So time for a little Q&A section!

Q: The first and foremost question I get asked is, "Does it hurt?"
A: Why yes. But it really depends on your pain tolerance. For me the pain wasn't that bad. I have a video to prove it! They kindly asked me to leave it off of youtube, so sadly I cannot link you to it.
But asking, "Does it hurt?" wasn't satisfying enough for me. I asked a lot of people with cartilage piercings how bad it hurt. You always get difference answers, "a lot" "not at all" or whatever they want to tell you. I will tell you that for me, it was in between. The bottom part honestly didn't hurt at all! My exact words were, "That wasn't as bad as I expected!" It's just a minor pinching. The top part hurt more because it is thicker cartilage. Cartilage is like a step down from bone, so it's a harder material to get needles through. If you were to pierce your lip, your earlobe, your belly button, or eyebrow, then the only pain you have is sleeping on it.
Another thing that contributes to the pain is if the piercer hits a nerve. It takes a really professional piercer to avoid that nerve. If they hit it, the piercing will never stop hurting until you take it out and it heals back to normal.
Q: How long does it take to heal?
A: Two years. If you want to change it out, you should wait 6 months at the earliest. 9 months is the recommended waiting time to change it out.
I have only had mine for 5 months, but the way mine has healed I should be able to change it out next month.
I'm not quite sure when the recommended time is for switching the material. To start you always use surgical steel or titanium.
Q: Did it get infected?
A: Uh.. Yes. Badly. AND IT HURT LIKE A BITCH.
Q: How did you recover from your infection?
A: Don't touch it. Seriously, not even with a q-tip. Just spray your cleaner on there (I used H2Ocean)
It mostly recovered in 4 days. But seriously, don't touch it.
Q: At which point in time is it safe to sleep on?
A: It's another pain tolerance question. Mine only took about a month before I was sleeping on it regularly, but I met a lady who couldn't sleep on either of hers for a year. She has one in each ear, which is what I would like, and both of them took about a year for her to be able to sleep on.

If you have another question, please send it to me, and I will update this post with an answer. But for now here are some pictures!
The Day of:
 The Infection
 Now

No comments:

Post a Comment